Table of Contents
|Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, etc.||Vocabulary Building||Reading Materials|
|Listening Practice||Activities, Quizzes, etc.||Speaking, Pronunciation, etc.|
|Study Skills||Critical Thinking, Metaphor, etc.||Online Language Learning Courses|
|Fun Stuff||Contact Information||Acknowledgments|
Includes both a dictionary and thesaurus, Merriam-Webster for Kids, with a useful Daily Buzzword section, and Brittanica Online (with a limited amount of free services).
Includes both a dictionary and thesaurus search function and a huge list of online bilingual dictionaries and resources.
This search engine displays results as a list of links to online definitions.
The Free Encyclopedia
Search a letter of the alphabet or enter a keyword.
All the knowledge you need.
Offered by msn.
- Acronym Finder
Online database of acronyms.
Vocabulary is the foundation on which we build our other language
- Word Lists and Vocabulary Resources
Maintained by Prof. K. H. Yang.
- Academic Word List
Academic Word List Coxhead (2000)
- Online Reading Lab
Maintained by my Bill Balsamo.
Includes links to online newspapers in the United States and around the world. Also has categories for looking up sites dealing with specific topics or themes.
- Internet Public Library
The Kid Space and Teen Space pages include links to many more reading materials.
- Project Gutenberg
Portal site for a large (and growing) list of online books.
Listening is another important skill that will help you in other
- Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab
The best of the best.
- Online Listening Resources
Find online listening material.
- VOA Special English
News is English for non-native speakers of English (Voice of America)
Vocabulary and grammar exercises.
- Webquest Portal
Learn about, try and make Webquests.
- Activities for EFL Students
Lots of different activities sorted by focus and level.
- Interesting Things for ESL Students
Word games, puzzles, quizzes, exercises, slang, proverbs and much more
The Sounds of American English - Pictures and sound files for
- Study Skills
Self-help Information - Maintained by the Division of Student
Affairs at Virginia Tech
- How-To-Study.com - A Study Skills Resource Site.
- Study Guides and Strategies - Divided by various study-related themes
- College Grants Database - Submitted by students at Mason Learning Center.
- Student Education Guide: Good Study Habits - Submitted by Katelyn (and her teacher Ms. Ward)
- Test Prep - Answers - A collection of articles related to test preparation and test taking strategies
Critical Thinking, Metaphors, Mind Mapping, etc.
Metaphor Project - Useful for organizing arguments, presentations,
- Arindne's Thread - Develop critical thinking skills by analyzing arguments.
- Thinking Maps - Useful for organizing arguments, presentations, etc.
- BBC World Service - Extensive site for self study
- English Portal -
The Better Way to English
- English Through The Internet - Pilot project for matching pre-service teachers with language learners in online learning environments.
- DF1LM - Make your
own short animated film.
- Music Lyrics - Find the lyrics for your favorite songs in English.
- Exploritorium: Ten Cool Sites - Lots of different topics, subjects, etc.
- ScMOOze - Communicate with other language learners in an online environment.
- E-blogger - Create your own web log (blog).
- English as a Second Language - List of exercises and links to other sites
- Cool Sites List - Maintained by NETEACH-L.
- UsingEnglish.com - Large collection of ESL tools and resources.
- Road to Grammar - A fun way to study/learn grammar.
- GrammarCheck.net - An online grammar checker.
This page created with Netscape Navigator Gold and Dreamweaver.
This page last updated on June 22, 2006.